Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Vibes (or, The Shaigetz, Part II)

So, I was talking with the Shaigetz yesterday. We have been talking about the issue of him semi-consciously sending me weird vibes that distract me. He has apologized and promised to cut it out if at all possible, and I have said that I get he's an affectionate person, and I'm glad our friendship means a lot to him, but, you know, I have to do work every once and a while!

Then we got onto the issue of vibes within the Cambridge Conservative/Conservadox/Modern Orthodox singles community. I told him that one reason why his vibes kind of threw me for a loop was that in the singles community here--which isn't formal like the one on NY's Upper West Side but rather is made up of whoever happens to be single and may be interested in not being single forever--THERE ARE NO VIBES. Everyone is so terrified of accidentally conveying interest, which could be returned, of course, but is more likely to render everything awkward and/or invite crushing rejection before anyone even knows anyone else very well, that it is as though I am in an emotional vacuum every time I try to have a conversation with any single male of the opposite sex in my age bracket. Part of the problem is that the community is so small that no one wants to alienate anyone else. That's fine, but how am I supposed to know if I even want to ask you out/be asked out by you, Mr. Local Single Male of the Opposite Sex in My Age Bracket (Mr. LSMOSMAB, for short), if you won't answer my e-mails or have more than a ten-minute conversation with me? This is not a rhetorical question. Seriously, how?

No comments: